Saturday, September 1, 2012
Love is Love
I like TV, and the break it gives me from my daily routine. Last night I was looking at the new lineup to see if there were any new shows that I could get into. Unfortunately, things do not look very appealing. I am amazed at the combination of stupidity, debauchery, evil, and immorality I found. It seems the media is trying to promote a worldview that is very contrary to the Bible.
The show that caught my eye is "The New Normal" on NBC. It is about a gay couple who hires a woman to be their surrogate. As expected, it has all the quirks of personality clashes, overcoming stereotypes, and the joys of pregnancy. If I'm being honest (and if there were not other problems), it looks like a funny show.
However, this show (from its very title) is presenting a view of the American family that I do not agree with. I believe that marriage is only the union of a man and a woman and that this is the ideal starting point for a family. Although I recognize that many struggle with homosexual desires, the Bible clearly condemns homosexual actions. (William Lane Craig wrote two articles that I agree with here http://www.reasonablefaith.org/a-christian-perspective-on-homosexuality and here http://www.reasonablefaith.org/christian-homosexuals). I do not want to support a show that presents homosexuality as normal and a healthy starting point for a family.
The trailer of the show had an interesting line in it. One of the gay men asked the potential surrogate, "Are you comfortable with carrying a baby for two men?" She replied, "Yes. Love is love." Is any form of love truly love? This certainly is the perspective that our society is heading toward, but it is not biblical. Love can only be defined or understood through God, because God is love (1 John 4:8). We are told that we can know love because Jesus came, lived among us, and died for our sins (v. 10). Any form of true love must be done through the work of the Spirit and will be pleasing to God. According to the Bible, this does not include sexually active homosexual relationships. So love is not love.
The love issues seems to be a reflection of the general issues in our culture. We are told that whatever feels right, is pleasing in the moment, and does not offend anyone else is our good. This leads us to a culture of entitlement, relativity, selfishness, and instant gratificaiton. Christian principles like denying self, choosing what influences you, and sacrificing for others are not popular. America was founded on Christian principles, but I fear we are no longer a Christian nation. We have given into pluralism and accept what makes us comfortable. We do not want to step on other people's toes and give into what seems good in the moment. I fear for where this will lead the nation and want to choose a different path for my family.
Let me be clear: I am not perfect. I daily struggle with selfishness, anger, greed, theft, lying, and pride. These are NOT the kind of traits I am proud of, but they exist within me. The only way that I can conquer them is through the strength of the Spirit. Because I struggle so much, I don't want to choose to be influenced by things that will let me compromise. I don't want to regularly expose myself to the message that love is love, or that what feels good is right. I want to be careful what environment I raise my son in so that he will love what is good. I want him to love the one who truly is love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment