Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Growth Stunting

I substitute taught for a health class the other day and was faced with an interesting question.  The (high school) students were supposed to journal on why people drink alcohol when it causes so many problems (underage drinking, alcoholism, alcohol abuse).  I was supposed to lead the class in a discussion about it afterword.  At first, I had no idea what to say because I knew that students at the school drank and public schools don't allow any religious morality.  Students came up with the typical answers of people drink because it feels good, relives stress, other people do it, etc.  But then when I asked them why we shouldn't drink they had no answers.  I gave a generic answer like 'things that start out as 'good' or 'useful' can easily be abused.'  I wasn't too happy with this, but then I started thinking about Ephesians 5:18, "do not get drunk on wine... be filled with the Spirit."  I realize that the context of this verse applies to the early church that had problems with people getting drunk during their church service dinners, but I think we can also draw more from the verse.  
Wine, and all alcohol, does have the possibility of being used for good purposes.  I have appreciated the calming effects of a glass of wine after a stressful day, but I can easily see how this could be taken too far.  Recently I've been in some frustrating and stressful circumstances where I would love to forget about the issues using alcohol (for other reasons I have not partaken recently).  But instead of taking this way out to ease the frustration, I have been practicing putting these things before the feet of God.  This has been extremely difficult and I have by no means been good at it, but I have noticed a change in my own heart.  God has been shaping my soul to trust in Him.  (Note: there certainly may be times where alcohol could be used in a God-honoring way and so I am not by any means ruling out alcohol).  These experiences have been growing because of their difficulty and while I am by no means a masochist, I appreciate the results of the pain.  Perhaps this was part of what Paul was trying to convey to the Ephesian church.  He may have been encouraging them not to turn to a way of dulling the pains and frustrations of daily life through alcohol but turning to the Spirit.  
It's too bad that I couldn't have said this to my class the other day, I wish I could/would have told them the value of difficulty and its power to grow us.  I doubt they would have understood my meaning and it is rather empty without the power of the Gospel behind it.  I am so grateful that I have a reason and motivation to be good... so that I may please my Savior, the one who gave everything so that I could be transformed into His image.

No comments:

Post a Comment